Windows 8 is coming in October, and the folks at Lenovo will be introducing a ThinkPad Tablet 2 at that time. The Tablet 2 will be sporting an Intel Atom process and Windows 8 Pro, making it a full Windows experience out of the box. There will be an optional keyboard and dock available to turn the Tablet 2 into a full desktop system.
See the full gallery of ThinkPad Tablet 2 press images
The Tablet 2 will be thin (9.8 mm) and light (<1.5 lbs.) and will be the second tablet of the ThinkPad line. The original ThinkPad Tablet (reviewed here) was an Android sporting business tablet with stylus support. The new Tablet 2 leaves Android behind and will be packing full Windows 8 Pro onboard to provide the full ThinkPad experience with optional pen and digitizer.
ThinkPad Tablet 2 full specs:
- Processor: Intel Atom (unspecified)
- OS: Windows 8 Pro
- Display: 10.1-inch IPS, 1366x768, optional digitizer/pen
- Ports: miniHDMI, audio, microSD slot, USB 2.0, docking connector
- Sound: stereo, dual-array microphone
- Wireless: Wi-Fi, 3G HSPA+, LTE (AT&T only), Lenovo Mobile Access (pay as you go)
- Connectivity: Optional Tablet 2 keyboard and dock
- Camera: Front 2MP, Rear 8MP
- Dimensions: 10.3 x 6.5 x .39 inches; 1.3 lbs.
Lenovo is being as coy in reference to pricing for the ThinkPad Tablet 2 as Microsoft is about the Surface tablets so we still have no idea how much these jewels may cost. The exact availability for the Tablet 2 is unknown, as Lenovo is stating "when Windows 8 launches in October".