As part of today's June 10 Patch Tuesday, Microsoft has made available firmware updates for its second-generation Intel-based Surface Pro 2 and ARM-based Surface 2 tablets.
The company didn't release any new firmware for its first-generation Surface RT or Surface Pro models today. The June updates were the first new firmware for the second-generation Surfaces to be released by the company since March 2014.
Surface Pro 2 users got a handful of updates designed to improve power/sleep functionality, BitLocker support, Miracast support and more.
Specifically, the June Surface Pro 2 firmware updates included:
- Surface Pro UEFI (v2.4.950.0) and Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware (v18.104.22.168) updates enhance system stability with microSD products, improves compatibility with Power Cover, and increases the reliability of sleep state transitions. Surface Pro UEFI update also provides support for PXE boot with the new Surface Ethernet Adapter.
- Surface Pro System Aggregator Firmware (v2.4.350.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.287.0) update improves sleep state transitions when a Surface Cover is attached.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.288.0) improves reliability when the Power Cover is attached to Surface and folded behind Surface.
- HD Graphics Family (v10.18.10.3496) update improves Miracast wireless display experience and enhances display stability.
The ARM-based Surface 2 also got a handful of updates primarily meant to address similar issues around battery life and Miracast.
The list of June firmware updates for Surface 2:
- Surface 2 UEFI (v4.21.500.0) update enhances overall system stability, including boot and reboot scenarios, compatibility with Surface Power Cover, and increased battery life when Surface 2 is not in use.
- System Aggregator Firmware (v1.0.50500.0) update enhances the charging behavior of the Power Cover.
- Surface Power Cover Firmware Update (v2.0.595.0) update improves battery life when using the Power Cover with Surface 2.
- Surface Platform Power Driver (v2.0.557.0) update improves battery life when used with the Surface Power Cover.
- Audio Driver Set (v 22.214.171.12419) and Display Driver Set (v 126.96.36.19918). This update provides enhanced support for external displays, improves the Miracast experience, and enhances the overall system stability while reducing power consumption in many scenarios.
- Surface Accessory Device (v2.0.583.0) update enhances the experience when using a Surface Cover.
To manually install these updates, users can follow the instructions on any of the Surface Update History sites, or can wait for the updates to be installed automatically via Windows Update.