Set to hit locations of The Carphone Warehouse this Friday (June 4), the 5-inch tablet will be available for the low, low price of free. That is, of course, granted that you sign up for either the £25 ($36) per month mobile broadband contract or £35 ($51) per month plan with voice and unlimited data.
Or you could just shell out £429 ($623) to be free of any contract entanglements altogether. That's the exact same starting price as the 16GB Wi-Fi only version of the iPad across the pond, which debuted in stores there last Friday.
If you're in the UK and already interested in picking up a Dell Streak, then this is a score. And given that the Android 2.2-based device has some features that the iPad lacks (Flash 10.1 support, built-in camera, can make phone calls, etc.), it could serve you better. But it is over four inches smaller than the iPad, which could make a considerable difference if you plan on watching a lot of videos, reading e-books and doing any kind of work on your tablet computer.
Which device strikes your fancy more?
Previous coverage on ZDNet:
- Dell Streak: Big phone, small tablet
- Dell Streak is not the droid you are looking for
- Dell Streak tablet lineup leaked; 7-inch, 10-inch models join 5-inch
- Dell Streak: Mini 5 tablet docs leaked; reveal specs, colors
- Dell Mini 5 is the matriarch for future ‘family of tablets’
- 43 seconds with the Android-powered Dell Mini 5
- Dell Mini 5 tablet: Dell’s answer to the Apple iPad?