- "podcasting" was the 4th most popular Google News search of the year;
- "Bebo" and "MySpace" were the #1 and #2 most popular Web searches;
- "Metacafe" and "video" were the #4 and #7 most popular Web searches;
- "Wikipedia" and "wiki" were the #6 and #10 most popular Web searches; and
- "Radioblog" was the #5 most popular Web search.
To me these stats tell the tale of a watershed year for creating, listening to, viewing, and otherwise relying on independent and user generated media, further end-to-end participation through blogs and wikis, and enhancing social interactions online.
Peer-to-peer, neither gone nor forgotten, has merely shifted to the torrenting arena with Mininova #9 in Web searches. (Contrast '01, when Napster and Gnutella were on the wane and Kazaa on the rise).