Aside from the huge 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLED (1,280 x 720) display that we've come to expect from Samsung, the Galaxy Nexus also boasts 1 GB of RAM, a built-in NFC chip, a 4G radio for either the HSPA+ or LTE network, a barometer and a surprisingly modest 5-megapixel rear camera (the front cam is 1.3-megapixel). (Matthew Miller has a more complete set of specs in his post.) But it's the hardware combined with ICS that makes this combo potentially delicious:
- Face Unlock: No need to swipe your screen to unlock it. Simply face your phone and it should be able to recognize your face to grant you access.
- Android Beam: Share your contacts/maps/apps with other NFC-enabled devices.
- Voice Typing: Dictate your emails/texts to your Galaxy Nexus and hopefully it will get it more right than Siri.
- Integration with Google+: The Galaxy Nexus will search for your Google+ contacts' photos and updates, plus bring Messenger and Hangout functions to your "Google Phone."
- Data Usage: Monitor your data usage as this feature is baked right into the OS.
- Single Motion Panarama Photos & Live Effects: Taking a page from a popular feature on point-and-shooters and even interchangeable lens camera features, the Galaxy Nexus' camera will be able to capture panoramic shots and apply effects while you shoot.
- Google Wallet: With this handset, you'll likely be able to give Google Wallet a try soon but this feature was not a part of the phone announcement.
Here is a trailer released by Google that offers a first look at both ICS and Galaxy Nexus, which was previously referred to the Nexus Prime.
No specific date or U. S. carrier was announced at the media event but we expect to get more details as it gets closer to November, which is when the Galaxy Nexus will be coming to the United States, Canada, Europe and Asia. Stay tuned!
- Samsung and Google announce Galaxy Nexus pentaband Ice Cream Sandwich smartphone
- Google, Samsung unveil Android 4.0-based Galaxy Nexus
- Gingerbread chasing Froyo; Ice Cream Sandwich unveiling delayed
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus could lure Verizon customers from iPhone 4S
- Google Wallet rolled out for Sprint Nexus S 4G
- Samsung Nexus S gets Google Wallet compatibility with upcoming update
- Not to be outdone by iPhone 5, Google's Nexus Prime is also launching in October?