SAP, NetBase: Pinterest is fastest growing social site ever

Summary:NetBase and SAP have published an infographic analyzing the roughly five million online conversations about Pinterest in the past year.

SAP has teamed with social media consumer insights firm NetBase to determine just what people are saying and thinking about what has become one of the most rapidly popular startups in awhile: Pinterest.

Researchers based their report on the five million conversations about the social media wunderkind across Facebook, Twitter, blogs and other social media resources.

Thus far, Pinterest buzz peaked in February, but that doesn't mean the craze is over as SAP and NetBase hailed Pinterest as "the fastest growing social site" ever.

SAP and NetBase covered the top five things that Internet users each love and hate about the sharing platform.

In terms of the demographics, approximately 60 percent of the online conversations about Pinterest were conducted by women with the remaining 40 percent by men.

So far, most Pinterest users love using the platform for finding and sharing recipes more than anything else. That's followed up by decorating and event planning, among other topics.

Pinterest has only had a few user interface changes in the last year, most of which are rolled out quietly and don't really affect how people use the site. That's probably a good thing in the beginning as new users are coming in all the time and people are still getting used to the platform.

Furthermore, based on this report's figures alone, it looks like Pinterest doesn't need to change much -- at least when it comes to the layout -- just yet as one-third of users "praised how the site is beautifully designed." It's basically a bunch of boxes on white background, but that simplicity works for Pinterest.

Of course, Pinterest isn't perfect. Besides typical spam and technical issues that are par for the course for any social network, a lot of Pinterest users complain that it's a "time suck," which results in loss of productivity and other problems. Yet, it's arguable that's a problem users should deal with on their own.

On a more serious note, with questions raised about copyright issues earlier this year, at least five percent of people talking about Pinterest are still concerned that they themselves could be guilty of copyright infringement.

Pinterest has tried to alleviate these worries by allowing Web sites to opt-out of having their images used by Pinterest's users.

Neverthless, despite these issues, Pinterest's rise to fame is quite astounding. SAP and NetBase highlighted that pace as 20 percent of people talking about just how Pinterest grew so quickly alone.

After debuting in March 2011, Pinterest was named by Hitwise as one of the top 10 sites for identifying social trends last year.

While there is definitely a lot of hype surrounding the social media pinning platform (and some of that has died down in the last few months), some marketing and commerce analysts still argue that Pinterest offers a lot of opportunity and value to retailers.

Topics: SAP, Networking, Social Enterprise, Start-Ups

About

Rachel King is a staff writer for CBS Interactive based in San Francisco, covering business and enterprise technology for ZDNet, CNET and SmartPlanet. She has previously worked for The Business Insider, FastCompany.com, CNN's San Francisco bureau and the U.S. Department of State. Rachel has also written for MainStreet.com, Irish Americ... Full Bio

zdnet_core.socialButton.googleLabel Contact Disclosure

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.