Uninterruptible power supplies from APC by Schneider Electric have long set a high bar when it comes to innovative new features, and the new Back-UPS Pro for small and midsize businesses (SMBs) is no different.
The product uses advanced lithium-ion batteries that should last between eight and 10 years (versus the three to five years you can expect from typical UPS batteries).
It also comes with a remote network management facility that allows it to be controlled from afar. This enables two things: first, equipment such as peripherals can be automated to shut down when they are not in use, saving enargy; and second, if your router or wireless network freezes and you don't happen to be around, you can reboot it anyway. If you want, you can set a "watchdog" feature that will do this automatically.
If you're an enterprise IT person, you're probably asking, "so what." But the fact is, these aren't really common features in an SMB product that is priced at only $299.
Here are the technical specifications for the product:
- Supports high-performance desktops or network equipment up to 500VA/300 watts
- Includes two Smart Outlets that can be configured to provide either surge-only or surge and backup battery protection
- Comes with Energy Management that allows users to track power consumption
- Eight to 10 year battery life
- USB port for helping with computer shutdown
- Three-year warranty
The product is scheduled to be available before the end of the third quarter.