For a smartphone that hasn't even been officially introduced yet, the iPhone 5 already has high demand.
According to a new study conducted by PriceGrabber, at least 35 percent of U.S. consumers will purchase the next generation of Apple's smartphone once it is released.
However, they won't all be camping out and showing up at once. PriceGrabber found that 51 percent plan to buy the iPhone 5 within the first year of release, 30 percent will purchase it before the end of 2011, 14 percent will buy it within the first month, and seven percent will buy it within the first week.
Personally, I think a couple of the big motivating factors will be the release of iOS 5, and that many of these consumers will be upgrading from the iPhone 3G or 3GS. Here's a look at what consumers want from the next iPhone:
- 59 percent want a better battery life
- 55 percent are looking for cost reduction
- 46 percent want 4G connectivity (if that is even supported on the next iPhone)
- 45 percent are want a larger screen
- 42 percent would like an improved camera
This study, conducted from July 1 to 11, was based on the responses of 2,852 U.S. online consumers.
It is a bit funny to read considering that Apple has been completely silent (as usual) regarding the inevitable upcoming release of the iPhone 5. There are countless rumors about this device, including one report that there could actually be two different new iPhones: one regular upgrade to the existing iPhone 4 and then a more budget-friendly, possibly pay-as-you-go model.
AT&T has been a little more open about this product as it is already preparing for a September launch, which would fit in with the general consensus that we will see the iPhone 5 on shelves this fall.
- AT&T tops competitors for customer loyalty in San Francisco
- How to survive an iPhone liquid submersion (hint: it's not rice)
- Next iPhone may be coming in September and I am going back to iOS
- Apple enforcing eReader restrictions, Google Books no longer available to iOS
- Jailbroken iOS 5 devices: No OTA updates for you