Verizon Wireless is turning out to be gracious to Motorola Xoom owners. No matter what has been done to it, each slate will still be eligible to receive the 4G upgrade when it rolls out.
Even Xoom owners who have already unlocked the Android 3.0-based tablet don't have much to worry about. Moto reps have spoken out on the Motorola Support Forums, revealing that
All Motorola XOOM tablets on the Verizon Wireless network are eligible to receive an upgrade to support 4G LTE. This includes those that have been unlocked; however, those units must be submitted for upgrade with the original factory software reinstalled and the device relocked in order to receive the upgrade.
Unlocked devices will still get the 4G modem installed, but there are no guarantees about upgrading the software to match. Unfortunately, a release date for the 4G update wasn't announced or even hinted at just yet.
Related coverage on ZDNet:
- Motorola Xoom won't ship with Adobe Flash support immediately
- Motorola Xoom: Already closing the iPad pricing gap?
- 'Significant' tablet will be unveiled at CTIA Wireless
- Apps that work and some that don't on the Motorola XOOM
- Your choice: Motorola Xoom or Apple iPad 2?