Yipit app could save space, time on mobile devices

Summary:Instead of checking multiple apps for daily deals, a new one from YipIt could suffice for them all.

Yipit serves as a handy aggregator of daily deals into one email, a refreshing change for many of those consumers who might be interested but are overwhelmed by the sheer number of them that they receive everyday.

But YipIt has left open some unconquered territory -- until now.

YipIt co-founder Jim Moran asserts in a statement that Groupon and LivingSocial represent 75 percent of daily deal revenue, but only 20 percent of the deals. Thus, YipIt asks the question how do consumers capitalize on the remaining 80 percent of deals happening every day?

Of course, YipIt then answers the question by proposing its own mobile app as the solution.

Touted as a "one-stop-mobile-shop," here are some of the core capabilities of the YipIt app:

  • Tracks preferred deals closest to subscribers, and whether they’re trending/selling out
  • Maps informing subscribers about deals closest to their real-time locations
  • Access to buying or saving deals from more than 800 providers, whether it be national or local

By including the national part in there, this might come in handy during the holidays if you're looking to buy a deal from one of YipIt's partners in another U.S. city.

Promotions from all of YipIt's partners should be viewable in the app, including major players Groupon, LivingSocial, and Gilt City.

In theory, this could really save a lot of space on one's smartphone as well as time considering users wouldn't have to toggle between multiple apps searching for different sales constantly -- you know, if they're daily deal junkies.

Unfortunately for Android and Windows Mobile users, this app is only available for the iPhone initially, which can be downloaded for free from iTunes now.

Related:

Topics: Mobility, Collaboration

About

Rachel King is a staff writer for CBS Interactive based in San Francisco, covering business and enterprise technology for ZDNet, CNET and SmartPlanet. She has previously worked for The Business Insider, FastCompany.com, CNN's San Francisco bureau and the U.S. Department of State. Rachel has also written for MainStreet.com, Irish Americ... Full Bio

zdnet_core.socialButton.googleLabel Contact Disclosure

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

The best of ZDNet, delivered

You have been successfully signed up. To sign up for more newsletters or to manage your account, visit the Newsletter Subscription Center.
Subscription failed.