NBN construction just resting, not ended

NBN construction just resting, not ended

Summary: NBN construction efforts over January slowed to just four brownfields fibre serving areas having building instruction notices issued, but NBN Co has said that it expects construction to kick back up in the next few months.

SHARE:
TOPICS: NBN
5

NBN Co is expecting construction for the fibre-to-the-premises network to kick back into gear in the coming months after a slow start to 2014 due to the construction industry shut-down period.

Weekly rollout map data updated last week and posted on Whirlpool by NBN blogger jxeeno revealed that new build instructions for brownfields areas for the National Broadband Network (NBN) in the last month totalled just four, all located in Victoria.

This led to some on the site claiming that the network construction had been slowed while Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull instructed NBN Co on a new path forward for the NBN, which will likely see much of the fibre-to-the-premises plans for brownfield areas replaced with fibre-to-the-node construction.

A spokesperson for NBN Co confirmed to ZDNet that construction had slowed over the Christmas and New Year's break as a result of the industry shut-down period, and that construction efforts for the network would ramp back up in the coming months.

NBN Co executive chair Ziggy Switkowski highlighted in December that in revising the premises passed forecast for June 2014 down from 450,000 brownfields in November to 357,000 brownfields premises in the strategic review, NBN Co was taking the Christmas shut down into account where he believed it hadn't been in prior announcements.

"You cannot take 5,000 homes passed per month and not allow for the fact that from the middle of December to the middle of January the industry shuts down. There is 20,000 off your number to start off with," he said.

Turnbull has vowed to honour the existing construction contracts that NBN Co signed with its construction partners prior to the election, provided that those companies are able to meet their obligations under the contract. Those agreements will run out this year, by which time NBN Co will likely have developed its plan to implement the Coalition government's new broadband policy.

While construction hasn't commenced in many places in January, the construction of the network has continued. According to the stats released last week (PDF), from January 1 until January 19, the network has passed an additional 10,353 brownfields premises for a total of 283,527 passed and 198,796 premises able to order a service.

The Senate committee overseeing the National Broadband Network will hold two hearings in the coming days, with one scheduled for Wednesday in Perth, and a second hearing in Hobart on February 4.

Topic: NBN

About

Armed with a degree in Computer Science and a Masters in Journalism, Josh keeps a close eye on the telecommunications industry, the National Broadband Network, and all the goings on in government IT.

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Talkback

5 comments
Log in or register to join the discussion
  • NBN fibre to no where

    here we have it, if Minister for communications has no foresight, we are getting a disaster. If Malcolm Turnbull had been in charge of building the snowy mountain scheme it would be 2 generators and take 1 year because it would be faster.
    If he built the Sydney harbor bridge it would of been 2 lanes. It would be faster

    He is a fool in the pocket of Rupert.
    johny bizaro
    • No vision for the future.

      and the snowy mountains scheme generators would be needing an expensive upgrade in a couple of years and the Sydney harbour bridge would have a 25k speed limit on its 2 lanes.
      Fraudband........back to the copper age. Maybe this government will take us back to the telegram, horse and cart days too.
      Lastofthegoodguys
  • All Sorted.

    Never Mind, It's all Sorted out.
    Rupert will now be in full control of the toll fees & services available on our national communications superhighway.
    grump-a1eeb
  • Neverending wait.

    I live in Proserpine, Qld and was hoping the NBN Fibre network would replace the appalling Telstra copper network that exists in this town. It has terrible quality and due to our climate the pits are almost in perpetual flood which effects speed and everything else, they use sticky tape to seal any breaks in joints which doesn't last that long. It is pathetic. But no now we have Malcolm Turnbulls*** in charge who would rather jet off to Menlo Park, CA, USA to use their lightning fast internet then help ordinary Australians like myself gain access to it. He is a prat. If he announces that Proserpine and all other regional locations will still get FTTH then I will change my mind on him, until then I hate him with the fire of a million suns.
    jfox778
    • There's the collective spirit ... NOT

      In the interests of fairness and equity you should retain your disdain for Turdball until he delivers on FTTP in the way that the Labor NBN was going to (i.e., 93% of all premises).

      The true benefits of FTTP will never be realised until a majority of Australians have it.
      Anoni-mouse