I've had my iPhone 3G for about two hours, not enough time to do anything resembling a review, but I wanted to blog some of my early observations. (Pictured are Rob Parker and I waiting in line in Atlantic City)
This post will be continually updated so I encourage you to come back often and to add your two cents worth in the TalkBack below.
- Activation took over an hour (total), I couldn't activate in the Apple Store and had to do it on my own. I still can't sync my old data to the new phone though.
- Apple allowed my to buy two iPhone because I'm on the Family Plan. I think that they would have let my buy up to five.
- The new phone's shape feels really good in the hand, both lighter and thinner, although I wasn't asked to "bond" with my iPhone (although I asked to).
- iPhone 3G ships with Firmware version 2.0 (5A345) (Settings > General > About) but 5A347 is also floating around, not sure what the difference is.
- The Field Test mode (*3001#12345#* SEND) still works, but I haven't had a chance to really grep through it yet.
- GPS on the Google Maps application is better than I thought. Really accurate (at least in Atlantic City) but it doesn't move the map along with you when driving though.
- Tough to get any sense of battery life when I keep having to plug into my computer to see if that activation/sync problems are fixed yet. Apple really borked the activation thing bad, I keep having this vision of a pissed off Steve Jobs marching up and down the aisles in iPhone engineering tearing people a new one.
- The constant "Allow" dialogs when using GPS/location-based applications is growing tiresome. There needs to be a setting for "Allow GPS postion data to be sent" with settings for "Never, Ask and Always." Really annoying, and it's only the first day.
- Likewise, having to enter my iTunes password every time I download an App (even free ones) is also getting annoying. I know that it's for security reasons, but give me a preference, mega disclaimer, then let me download. Apple is turning into a naggy old lady!
- Picture galleries coming...
- The black plastic rear panel is going to get super scratched. Kind of gives me pause for buying the black model, I may have to steal my wife's white one.
- I had so much fun with the App Store over the last 24 hours, it harkens back to when Installer.app first came out for jailbroken iPhones – only the applications are much, much better. No comparison really.
- There's already a pretty serious backlash over some of the overpriced Apps in the reviews (and you know who you are). Nothing should cost more than US$5 IMHO – especially when you also need to buy the desktop counterpart. Boycott the expensive apps and let them know in the comments people. Let's put an end to this before it gets out of control.
- I still can't sync my contacts, -4 error, but the error is coming faster now (within 5 minutes) which leads me to believe that Apple may have lit a fire under someone.
- My favorite case for the thicker iPhone 3G is the Marware CEO Premiere – sans velcro. Really nice.
- Just paired my Jawbone 2 bluetooth headset and heading out for a while. Re-downloaded Twitterific and AIM, just in case. This sync outtage could be a while. (Get in touch via Twitter: powerpage or AIM: powerpage95)
- Keep the original clear sticker that comes attached to the iPhone and carefully trim off the areas around the screen – without removing it. Boom. Instant screen protector.
New iPhone owners, chime in with your thoughts and I'll do the same and I'll increment the "updated" part of the headline.