Do you Bump? Well, at least 10 million mobile users are actively using the mobile app in the last month, sharing a lot more than just digital business cards.
Bump, a free app for iOS and Android that allows users to data just by literally bumping their smartphones together, has seen 50 million downloads already and counting -- part of which makes it the seventh most popular free iOS app of all time in the United States.
At first, it seemed like Bump was a fun and digital way of sharing business and general contact information without too much of a hassle. Now, it's evident that this app is being used to share much, much more on a more social level than anything else. Apparently even two marriages have been founded on Bump!
A full recap of the study about Bump usage (bumping?) can be seen in the graphic above, but here are some of the highlights from the survey:
- Day one of availability in 2009: 222 downloads
- Word-of-mouth is biggest referral source for Bump
- 400,000 apps and music are recommended through Bump each day
- Photos are being shared at a rate of 17.12 photos per second (267 million in total)
- 15 million files are bumped each week
- Current top five shared games : 1. Angry Birds Free; 2. Doodle Jump; 3. Cut the Rope; 4. Fruit Ninja; 5. Talking Tom Cat
- Current top five shared songs: 1. Rolling in the Deep (Adele); 2. Party Rock Anthem (LMFAO); 3. Alejandro (Lady Gaga); 4. The A Team (Ed Sheeran); 5. The Lazy Song (Bruno Mars)
Additionally, people were found to bump the most at night and on weekends between 8:00PM and 11:00PM. Make of that what you will.
- Symbian still top European smartphone platform, Android catching up
- Facebook launches Subscriptions, similar to Twitter following
- Evidence of iMessage integration found in iChat
- Case-Mate leaks iPhone 5 images, confirms iPhone 4S
- Could Facebook really make HP's webOS work?