Global Payments: Data breach is contained
Summary: Global Payments, at the center of a Visa and MasterCard security breach, held a call on Monday to say that the data breach suffered has been "contained".
Global Payments, a third-party payments processor to Visa and MasterCard credit and debit cards, reiterated that while customer data may be at risk, the data breach has been "contained to the best of our ability." Overall, 1.5 million accounts may have been affected.
Global Payments chairman and chief executive Paul Garcia said that the "diligent work" may take some time, but will complete the ongoing investigation and identify any changes that need to be implemented.
Garcia said the breach is contained and the company will get its record of compliance back with Visa and MasterCard "as soon as possible." Executives were upbeat about Global Payments' ability to regain its record of compliance with credit card associations.
The company said it doesn't believe any fraudulent charges were made using the stolen numbers.
Separately, Global Payments reported third quarter earnings of $57.9 million, or 73 cents a share, on revenue of $533.5 million, up 17 percent from a year ago. Non-GAAP earnings in the third quarter were 83 cents a share. Wall Street was looking for earnings of 84 cents a share.
Global Payments projected 2012 revenue to be $2.15 billion to $2.2 billion. The company expects non-GAAP earnings of $3.50 a share to $3.58 a share. GAAP earnings were $3.10 a share to $3.18 a share.
Charges related to the breach weren't disclosed because the investigation is ongoing.
Approximately three weeks ago, the breach was discovered. Within hours, law enforcement had been contacted. Garcia described how the company "jumped on this instantly," and that only a "handful of servers" were affected.
Here's what happened and when:
On Friday, it was first reported that Global Payments suffered a security breach, where as many 50,000 cardholders may have had their information exposed.
Global Payments processes card payments between merchants and banks, sitting in the 'middle-ground' directing where payment data should go.
Brian Krebs, who first reported the breach, initially warned that 10 million cards may be compromised. On Sunday, Global Payments revised down Krebs' figure as it confirmed as many as 1.5 million Visa and MasterCard accounts may have been compromised by the security breach.
While card numbers may have been downloaded from its systems, no other personal data --- such as names, addresses, or Social Security numbers --- were accessed.
Both Visa and MasterCard confirmed there was no breach to its own systems.
Visa and MasterCard both sent out non-public alerts to banks to warn of the breach that was thought to have occurred between January 21 and February 25, as Global Payments informed law enforcement andbrought in an independent data security organisation to inspect any damage.
Visa, as a result of the breach, removed Global Payments from its list of approved service providers, but invited it to re-apply once it submits evidence to show its security is "in compliance with Visa's standards."
MasterCard said it had not followed Visa's move, but was awaiting the result of an independent forensic investigation before it made any decision.
Associated Press reported that a technical problem affected the Visa network for 45 minutes on Sunday evening, which resulted in users unable to use their credit and debit cards. Visa confirmed this was not as a result of the recent security breach.
While the reputation of Visa and MasterCard stands in jeopardy, Global Payments lies in ruins. But Jefferies analyst Jason Kupferberg said that the processor can weather the storm.
The processor has $300--400 million in unrestricted cash, which could pay for the damage left by the breach, compared to figures by the 2009 Heartland data breach, in which 130 million accounts ran compromised. Analysts weighed in almost immediately after the breach with their opinions.
Related:
- Global Payments financial hit over breach likely manageable
- Security breach extends to Global Payments card processor
- CNET: Massive security breach leaves cardholders vulnerable
- Up to 1.5M credit card numbers stolen from Global Payments
Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.
Talkback
What kind...
Probably
correction
AM I affected?
Re: Am I affected?
Company should reimburse any card that were use to make Fraudulent Charges
Encryption, anyone?
It's not a law
The problem really lies with the card issuers. There is no reason a merchant or processor should ever have to store the card data. All card data should be sent in an encrypted packet which the card issuer confirms and sends a token back to the processor and merchant. That token is good for only that transaction making useless to anyone else. The reason the card issuers don't employ this proceeds is simply because they want all of the security responsibility to fall on the processors and merchants.
And the users
Encryption, anyone?
Details of the breach should be public as well.
How would they know no fraudulent charges have been made?
Yes companies that handle credit card information should be held responsible to pay for all the expenses incurred by others to clean this up. My wife works at a bank and they have sent out 2,300 letters to card holders warning that their card information may have been compromised. Who pays for that? Should be Global footing the bill for the letters, postage and whatever it costs to replace all those cards.
They don't - but there were charges...
Don't be obtuse!
"Contained" is the wrong word.
According to a piece on CNN, the problem is not your credit card, which can be cancelled. It is that what was stolen is enough to create new, fake identities like you. Could the police show up at your home with an arrest warrant for some crime committed by someone with your fake ID? And a over a million others like you.
Clueless
Unless they expect us to believe each of the 50,000 cardholders had an average of 30 cards each, then they obviously have no clue how big the exposure was. That makes for a warm fuzzy feeling, doesn't it?
Nothing can be done.
Having said that, it would be in their best interests to reimburse any illegitimate transactions.
Wanna bet?
EH ?
If you sit down and list all of the organisations, including the banks, software and hardware manufacturers you can only come to the conclusion that it will never be 100% secure.
Why ? Because someone somewhere has to know the passwords, security setup and if they decide to leak the information - nothing can be done about it.
The internet is NOT 100% safe, it never will be because humans are involved.
Wow