Google on search: The real work is just starting

Google on search: The real work is just starting

Summary: Google's Marissa Mayer, vice president of search products and user experience, reckons that today's search is a 90 percent solution. But the remaining 10 percent of the search equation will require more than 90 percent of the work ahead if search is to be perfected.

SHARE:
TOPICS: Google, Browser
2

Google's Marissa Mayer, vice president of search products and user experience, reckons that today's search is a 90 percent solution. But the remaining 10 percent of the search equation will require more than 90 percent of the work ahead if search is to be perfected.

Those comments by Mayer clarify comments made to the LA Times blog earlier this week. Mayer at the time said that Google had 90 percent to 95 percent of the search solution solved, but noted "there was a lot to go in the remaining 10 percent."

Here's Mayer's clarification:

We’re all familiar with 80-20 problems, where the last 20% of the solution is 80% of the work. Search is a 90-10 problem. Today, we have a 90% solution: I could answer all of my unanswered Saturday questions, not ideally or easily, but I could get it done with today’s search tool. (If you’re curious, the answers are below.) However, that remaining 10% of the problem really represents 90% (in fact, more than 90%) of the work. Coming up with elegant, fitting and relevant solutions to meet the challenges of mobility, modes, media, personalization, location, socialization, and language will take decades. Search is a science that will develop and advance over hundreds of years. Think of it like biology and physics in the 1500s or 1600s: it’s a new science where we make big and exciting breakthroughs all the time. However, it could be a hundred years or more before we have microscopes and an understanding of the proverbial molecules and atoms of search. Just like biology and physics several hundred years ago, the biggest advances are yet to come. That’s what makes the field of Internet search so exciting.

The underlying message: The game is just beginning and you won't recognize the search engine 10 years in the future. The future search engine will be personalized, location aware, social and able to navigate various languages.

Here's an interview via Beet.tv.

Topics: Google, Browser

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Talkback

2 comments
Log in or register to join the discussion
  • I think Ms Mayer is right -

    search research and search algorithms are currently in their swaddling clothes. What I suspect will prove especially difficult to resolve is the need to find an acceptable balance between the relevance of search results and privacy concerns. My guess is that there is no general method which can resolve these contradictory demands, and that solutions are going to have to be found which individuate not merely persons, but unique searches. Users of a search engine should be able to determine that on search A, for example, so-and-so much of my personal data can be used to make the results relevant, while on search B, a different spectrum can be selected. How this can be done in an intuitive and user-friendly manner remains to be seen - it will be fascinating to follow developments....

    Henri
    mhenriday
  • RE: Google on search: The real work is just starting

    Mayer is correct, the major goal of today's search engines (Google being the best) should be in the display of relevant data with minimal click through sites. The big challenge will be in adjusting for the click through tech web guys (and gals). They will always be one step ahead.

    Michael Kassing
    MarkTend.com
    http://marktend.com
    michael_kassing