The newest version of Google Desktop, released today, finally lets you take sidebar-native gadgets onto the web -- effectively making them universal. Until now, you were only able to use web-based gadgets in the sidebar, but not the other way around.
When installing a gadget that was originally designed for the sidebar for the first time, users will be prompted to download a browser extension to handle the non-web code. This was the final step they needed to take in order to make gadgets truly universal.
Here is the complete list of updates you will find in the latest version of Google Desktop:
- New Gadgets on the Web functionality
- Improved Outlook indexing and search
- Updated Quick Search Box
- Simplified Install Process
- Fixed installation and auto-update issues on Vista
- Various bug fixes and optimizations