At risk of sounding like a really bad furniture commercial on the radio, do not pay till 2008 for all Google Checkout transactions. I had to do a double take when I read an article on the official Google Checkout blog saying their free transaction promotion (ending December 31, 2006) has been extended a whole year.
- From November 8, 2006 through December 31, 2007, we'll process your Checkout transactions for free, even if you aren't an AdWords advertiser. If you're already an AdWords advertiser, we'll process your Checkout transactions for free regardless of what you spend on AdWords.*
- Valid Checkout orders you receive during the promotion will automatically qualify.
- There's no limit: all of your sales are eligible for free transaction processing.
- You can take full advantage of this promotion by encouraging your buyers to use Google Checkout on your site.
- Other applicable fees (e.g. chargeback fees) may apply. This promotion is subject to the Google Checkout Terms of Service. Google may revoke the promotion for accounts that do not comply with these terms.
Either Google is starving for new merchants, or they are pulling a "Gmail" by doing something so unbelievable that people are sure to talk about it -- or maybe it's a little of both.