I noticed that my ZDNet blogging colleague Mary-Jo Foley has covered the reports that Microsoft's new reliability patch for Windows 7 might be causing some users to experience problems. I just want to add some field notes to this issue.
- I've heard from around a dozen readers who claim that there is some link between KB977074 and startup/shutdown issues in Windows 7.
- The issues reported seem vague and unspecific.
- While some affected users claim that uninstalling KB977074 helps, others say it does not.
- Alleged symptoms range from BSoD and long delays at startup, and slow shutdowns.
- No contacts in OEM supply chain are reporting complaints from users.
- Issue does not seem to be widespread. In fact, this issue might have little/nothing to do with the update in question, especially since uninstalling the update has no effect for some who claim to be affected.
- All systems here, along with all systems I scope out regularly, have no problems with this update.
Anyone out there with more to share?