New York, New York: If you can make it there, you'll make it anywhere. Google certainly believes it can make it anywhere and it is setting its sights firmly on the advertising and media capital of the world, the Big Apple.
Google CEO Eric Schmidt addressed publishing and advertising executives over lunch last month in NYC and shared his vision for how a a GPS location-based, highly targeted and personalized in-car radio ad might be delivered digitally within one to two years, as I presented in my first-look “Google targets GPS-based in-car personalized advertising”:
Eric Schmidt, Google CEO, believes that when he is listening to the radio in his car, radio ads should personally address him about his needs. For example, while driving past a clothing store, a radio ad should remind Eric that he needs a pair of pants and instruct him to turn left at the upcoming clothing store.
“Google Audio,” in fact, is one of the new offline and vertical initiatives Google is targeting with a large-scale recruitment drive to beef up its NYC sales, marketing and engineering operations.
Google is looking to fill over 100 positions in its NYC office:
- Engineering: 24
- Operations and IT: 12
- Product Management: 2
- Advertising Sales: 34
- Online Operations: 2
- Billing and Payments: 2
- Enterprise: 3
- Marketing: 6
- Finance: 1
- Human Resources: 13
- Administrative: 2
Of particular note is Google’s search for ad sales execs for new initiatives in vertical-specific and media-specific Google products and services:
- Account Executive, Google Audio - New York
- Vertical Manager, New Initiatives, Classifieds/Local - New York or Chicago
- Vertical Manager, New Initiatives, CPG - New York or Chicago
- Vertical Manager, New Initiatives, Finance - New York or Chicago
- Vertical Manager, New Initiatives, Healthcare - New York
- Vertical Manager, New Initiatives, Travel - New York
- Inside Sales Representative - Merchant Payment Solutions - New York
- Sales Representative, Google Payment Solutions - New York
Job specs for Account Executive, Google Audio - New York:
To sell, lead, and manage the development of region, and multi-city advertising solutions for our customers. This individual should be able to establish relationships with agency network and clients directly as well as align the region’s sales operations with the direction, vision, systems, standards, and expectations of Google Audio overall operating philosophy.
Additionally, he/she will create the strategic sales plan for the region and drive the total region’s sales efforts and consistently attain opportunities. Responsibilities:
- Sell network, national agency accounts, transactional advertising solutions, and client direct accounts, including custom built advertising solutions.
- Build and maintain strong knowledge of Google Audio media products, solutions, and technology.
- Research, position, and brand, Google Audio to Buyers, Planners, Account Supervisors, Principals, and direct clients.
- Create and amplify expectations, standards and values of Google.
- Represent Google Audio at local/regional marketing and advertising conferences as well as seminars, where applicable.
- Develop strategic direction and plan for the region’s sales efforts.
- Create customer service plans for all agency and direct clients.
- Cultivate new relationships at all levels to gain depth of agency, direct key and target accounts.
- Track all regional revenue and performance.
Google is “selling” a "Google in NYC” experience to job candidates. According to Google:
Life at Google New York
Working in our New York City office offers the same benefits of working at our Silicon Valley campus: the challenge of interesting problems, a community of world-class technical minds, a relaxed but focused working environment, and access to an amazing pool of computing resources and data. And of course, fabulous benefits. Free food, massage therapy, yoga classes, and ski trips are only some of the many things you'll enjoy.