Conroy to release implementation study

Conroy to release implementation study

Summary: The office of Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has confirmed the controversial $25 million National Broadband Network implementation study will be released before the Federal Budget in May.

SHARE:

The office of Communications Minister Stephen Conroy has confirmed the controversial $25 million National Broadband Network implementation study will be released before the Federal Budget in May.

Conroy reportedly told journalists about the release earlier today, and his spokesperson confirmed the timing of the release this afternoon. Further information about how the decision was made to release the document was not available.

According to its original brief, the implementation study will determine the operating arrangements for the NBN Company, as well as detailing network design and financial details — for example, attracting private sector investment. It was put together by consulting firms KPMG and McKinsey.

However, since NBN Co chief executive Mike Quigley came on board last year, the company has already taken action on a number of fronts which the tender documents mentioned would be covered by the implementation study — such as key decisions on network design. The NBN Co has also kick-started various procurement processes associated with the NBN build-out.

Greens Senator Scott Ludlam had threatened to pull the party's support for the Federal Government's controversial telecommunications reform legislation due to Stephen Conroy's decision not to yet release the National Broadband Implementation study during the last Senate sitting.

Ludlam successfully passed a Senate order requiring Conroy to hand over the study. At the time, the senator said he had grown tired of waiting and had warned the government was "basically burning the goodwill of the crossbenches".

Conroy had defended the decision not to put the study into the public domain yet, saying it was a Cabinet decision.

Topics: NBN, Broadband, Government AU

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Talkback

5 comments
Log in or register to join the discussion
  • Another day another row emerges and, guess what, (Rudd's favourite saying) Telstra continues to draw the short straws over the NBN muddle created by the man of straw.

    Before gaining the go ahead for the FTTH NBN he has, again, put the cart before the horse by legislating that new homes must be readied for FTTH with effect from July 1 2010. This interim period has created a storm with Telstra accused by industry 'executives' of holding housing projects to ransom. And housing experts, frustrated with the government as to whether NBN would be available to take advantage of the connections. The imposition of costs amounting to $520 million a year is a real financial burden on housing projects and is quite understandable.

    When one considers that each nook and cranny on this vast continent will need to be made 'fibre-ready' in particular, the millions of spaces between nodes and homes, makes one shudder by the mere thought of the disruption and cost for eight long years. Even with Telstra capitulating, it's a recipe for a colossal disaster.

    Australia, be very concerned.


    Click here to Contribute
    Vasso Massonic
  • http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/telstra-blocks-sale-of-houses-20100321-qo6i.html

    Looks like a typical Trujillo like, confronationist Telstra move, from Thodey (just when we thought he/they were starting to learn)...and look the share driven minions are already trying to delect the blame, lol

    Just like they did/do in regards to blaming the ACCC, when Telstra, stupidly ended FTTN discussions in August 2006, lol...
    RS-ef540
  • Your are of two minds......"I am a Telstra customer (now shareholder)"

    Courtesy: Telstra Exchange forum, tse! tse! tse!
    Vasso Massonic
  • Like you Vasso. A customer, but recently also a shareholder (so I am making money not losing big time like you, lol...). Ah the irony!!!

    I bought, as I promised I would (see not everyone lies like you Telstra puppets) as from a day or two after they went ex-div (you do understand ex-div now don't you, after foolishly trying to lie on NWAT and not understanding how ex-div worked and making a fool of yourself A G A I N, lol...).

    So your point?

    Thing is, unlike you sycophantic puppets, I am not overcome to the point of lunacy, through greed and never will be. Which means I can still see the truth, recognise history and say both good and bad things about Telstra and their opponents.

    You ought to try it, even once!

    Anyway, I thought you weren't corresponding with me any further, remember? More fibs eh? Oh that's right, that was just the typical ploy, you and Syd use continually to avoid answering those sticky questions eh?

    Lol...
    RS-ef540
  • From outside the square...

    Wouldn't it be interesting and quite a surprise (particularly for TLS supporters who bag him daily) if Conroy was not tabling the report, because he actually wants to do it the easy way and deal with Telstra... but the report recommends not to!!!
    RS-ef540