My T-Mobile SIM pretty much lives in my Samsung Galaxy S III and it is one of the best Android devices I have ever owned. I am considering the new Note II as an update for it, but for those looking for something even smaller Samsung announced the Galaxy S III Mini (Android Central post with press release and image gallery). The Galaxy S III Mini isn't just a smaller GSIII, it also has lower specs and will come at a lower price too.
Like the upcoming Galaxy Note II, the Mini has the same look and feel as the highly successful Galaxy S III. It comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, something all of us current GSIII owners are anxiously waiting for, and Samsung's TouchWiz UI. Other specifications of the Mini, from the press release, include:
- Network: HSPA 14.4/5.76 900/1900/2100, EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900
- Display: 4.0 WVGA Super AMOLED
- Chipset: Dual Core 1GHz OS: Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Camera: 5MP AF + LED Flash / VGA Front
- Video: H.264, MPEG-4, H.263, VC-1, SorensonSpark, WMV7, WMV8, Recording/
- Playback : 720p Audio: MP3, AMR-NB, AAC/AAC+/eAAC+, WMA, OGG(Vorbis), FLAC
- Additional Features: Game/Video/ Readers/Music Hub, Kies, KiesAir, FM Radio (RDS), TouchWiz, Google Mobile Services, Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail, Google Latitude, Google Play Store, Google Play Books, Google Play Movies, Google Plus, YouTube, Google Talk,Google Places, Google Navigation, Google Downloads,
- Connectivity WiFi a/b/g/n, WiFi HT40 GPS/GLONASS NFC Bluetooth® 4.0(LE)
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Gyro
- Memory: 8/16GB ROM+ 8Gb RAM, microSD
- Dimensions: 121.55 x 63 x 9.85 mm, 111.5 g
- Battery: 1,500 mAh
It looks to be a very capable device and a 4 inch display is quite a bit more compact than the current 4.8 inch display GSIII. I prefer the GSIII because of the large display so am personally not interested in this device. If priced right though, it could be a great seller for Samsung and continue their dominance of the Android smartphone platform.
Related ZDNet content
- Samsung continues to enhance ecosystem with 7digital Music Hub integration
- Will ban of Samsung Galaxy S II due to Apple lead to more Galaxy S III sales?
- Samsung Galaxy S III: Summer blockbuster defined by superstar software (review)
- Seidio kickstand cases for the Galaxy S III and HTC One X (review)
- Android share drops 4% while iOS up 10%, but popular Galaxy S III not counted yet
- T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon announce Samsung Galaxy S III availability