Stewardess electrocuted while on iPhone 5

Stewardess electrocuted while on iPhone 5

Summary: Bride-to-be and a stewardess with China Southern Airline was electrocuted while answering calls on iPhone 5 that was charging. Apple says it will investigate and cooperate with police.

SHARE:
TOPICS: China, Apple, iPhone
87
iphonechhinathumb
Apple says it is investigating the matter and will cooperate with police.

Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old stewardess at China Southern Airline, was reportedly electrocuted and killed while answering phone calls on a charging iPhone 5.

Ma's older sister said on Chinese microblogging service Sina Weibo the stewardess on July 11 was hit by a "strong electronic current" while talking on the iPhone which was connected to a charger. The family also said the phone was purchased through official channels in December 2012 and, therefore, was still within the one-year warranty.

"With a very low level of voltage, a mobile phone itself is not life-threatening," said J. Wong, the managing director of local smartphone maker Meizu, in a report by Chinese news site MyDrivers.com. However, he said there could be risks if the charger or the computer to which the phone was connected had a current leakage.

Police said they were investigating the case and confirmed Ma had died from electrocution.

The bride-to-be was due to get married on August 8, an auspicious date in China suggesting prosperity and good luck.

Meanwhle, Apple issued a statement: "We are saddened by this unfortunate accident and our deepest condolence goes to the victim's family. We will conduct a thorough investigation and be fully cooperative."

Topics: China, Apple, iPhone

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Talkback

87 comments
Log in or register to join the discussion
  • Plastic is superb.

    This will not happened if the body was made by PLASTIC.
    alcskid
    • She must have held the phone wrong

      Not Apple's fault.
      LBiege
      • Getting Electrocuted While Holding a Mobile Phone on the Charger!

        There is no way to hold a phone wrong!

        Maybe there was a lightning strike outside of the aircraft, or a huge static buildup from the outside air rush. The power from static buildup at high altitudes or lightning strike can be dangerous. There are many factors that can contribute to this type of accident.

        Normally, it is impossible to be electrocuted using a phone while connected to its charger, unless there was a serous voltage leakage in the charger, and the user was very well grounded at their feet. If they were wearing rubber soled shoes they should still be very safe.

        Personally, I think there is a good chance this news item is more myth than truth...
        jerryg50
        • aircraft???

          Nowhere in the article did it state this happened in an aircraft Jerry. Perhaps you should read more carefully. The article is in english.
          Bradish@...
    • Lucky?

      At least she did not end up as lunch for the "rescued" lions.
      radu.m
      • What lions?

        The story mentioned nothing about rescuing lions.
        jallan32
  • But iphones are perfect!

    They have absolutely no problems. What so ever. Nothing at all. At least thats what the hardcore dumbphone owners keep regurgitating.
    Funkmonkey
    • so...

      Do you feel like you actually contributed to the conversation with that comment?
      gtvr
  • Wow

    This isn't even funny and I wouldn't even joke about this! That's rally sad that the woman died from this.
    slickjim
    • yes...

      There seems to be no sympathy for the unfortunate woman.
      That speaks volumes about the type of people that read ZDNET.
      Bradish@...
  • Iphone electrocution

    I call BS. 5 volts dc 0.5 amps, 2.5 Watts from a charger wont do it.
    Just an attempt to influence sales .

    Did they find a fly in the soup too.
    thecrud
    • Unless the transformer is faulty

      And 220V, 10A starts freely flowing instead of the 5V you are supposed to get.
      Methinks you are in the camp of "Apple can do no wrong" and therefore anything must be explained in a way that excludes the possibility Apple screwed up/
      kirovs@...
      • Unlikely

        That would require a faulty transformer that gives 220V and 10A AC instead of instead of 5V 1A DC, another fault in the transformer that makes the transformer not fry itself due to the first fault (and therefore short circuit instead of leading the charge to the phone), then it would require a faulty phone that applies the charge on the charging wire to the phone's case. It would also require the woman to either not drop from the shock in a way that unplugs the cord, or the woman to have an existing heart condition.

        Possible, but there is another far more likely cause.
        Sacr
        • I agree

          It is not highly likely, but still possible. I disagree though that anyone would drop the phone- upon electrical stimulation muscles contracts which leads to the person holding to the source tightly. This is why old timers would first touch wire with the top of their hands first- live wire would make the close their fist and loose contact.
          kirovs@...
          • Yeah, it's also possible that

            your natural gas line will explode in the next five minutes killing you, or that a meteor will crash through your roof and kill you, or that a private plane flying overhead will suffer engine failure, crash into your home and kill you.

            Pretty much anything is possible. However, to pretend that being possible is the same as being even remotely, reasonably likely, are two separate things.
            baggins_z
          • djmo00@yahoo.com

            People die from gas lines exploding all the time, even though the odds that it would happen to any one of them individually are slim.

            There are a lot of phones out there, so many that even remote possibilities are bound to happen.

            Don't abuse probabilities.
            DaveJMo
          • mismatching response

            "upon electrical stimulation muscles contracts which leads to the person holding to the source tightly."

            That's a proper response to me claiming the person shoud drop the phone. Problem is, I never claimed that. The user drops, the phone unplugs *because* the user doesn't let go.

            And since it wasn't obvious, the far more likely cause for such an article popping up is a fraud attempt.
            Sacr
          • What?????

            You mean like die to commit fraud????
            Oh, BTW, once you drop down you are probably dead.
            kirovs@...
        • Go back to your school and relearn.

          Voltage itself doesn't matter. Current is what matters.
          Lethal is considered 0.2A (Source: Cutnell, John D., Johnson, Kenneth W. Physics. 4th ed. New York, NY: Wiley, 1998.)

          So yes, 2A is much more than enough to kill a person.
          chulk90
          • Voltage and Current matter...

            Voltage by itself wont kill you. Higher voltage will allow the current to kill you...
            This is why cars are low voltage (11 to 14v, 12v battery). Car batteries have "tons" of amps (or say dozens of amps ... hundreds of amps), yet because it is only 12v, you wont (normally) get a shock or get electrocuted....
            Bee Ryan