I spent the day at Podcast Academy. I just flew down to Ontario CA this morning and then back tonight.
Between the Lines
Larry Dignan and other IT industry experts, blogging at the intersection of business and technology, deliver daily news and analysis on vital enterprise trends.
Larry Dignan is Editor in Chief of ZDNet and SmartPlanet as well as Editorial Director of ZDNet's sister site TechRepublic.
Rachel King is a staff writer for ZDNet based in San Francisco.
Zack Whittaker writes for ZDNet, CNET, and CBS News. He is based in New York City.
Last week I ran across this article on how Federal Websites are losing momentum in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI). Sites that score high tend to be transactional (sign up for something) or about a single program (like the Medicare Prescriptions Drug Benefit program).
Rafe Needleman provides the wrap up of our DemoFall 2006 coverage, collecting the hits and misses from our ZDNet/CNET team who attended the event (see the Demo blog on News.com and on ZDNet): Hits Rafe Needleman, CNET.
After having to interrupt my coverage of the Congressional hearing to tape this week's episode of the Dan & David Show, I'm tuned back into the hearing (which is still going on) and, based on what I've heard before regarding an e-mail that HP Mark Hurd claims not to have read, and what I'm now hearing from Patricia Dunn, it seems sort of odd to me how, even if the evil comes your way, as long as you don't see or hear it, you still get to have the fun (escape accountablity).
We have video from this morning's hearing in which politicians lash out at HP, and many of the witnesses exercise their Fifth Amendment rights, refusing to answer questions from the Congressional subcommittee. Former Chairwoman Patty Dunn attempts to paint herself as a victim of untrustworthy elements inside and outside the company.
This week on the Dan & David Show, we discuss the latest from the HP follies, including the testimony today before a Congressional subcommittee in which most of the witnesses, which included HP's now former general counsel, Ann Baskins, exercised their Fifth Amendment.DemoFall 2006 was host to 70 product introductions from mostly startup companies, and our bloggers covered our share as did news.
The HP hearing is underway right now. You can tune in to the hearing here, but RealPlayer is required (I didn't have it, so I got a late start).
While everyone involved in HP's out of control quest to staunch board leaks is culpable for moments of stupidity or at least poor judgement, the lawyers deserve special note. This morning, prior to testifying before a U.
In advance of a Congressional hearing today, HP's top lawyer has stepped down bringing the total number of executives who have lost their jobs as the result of a recent privacy scandal at the IT company to four. News.
Speaking at a conference in Singapore, HP CIO Randy Mott explained how his company is going to be a poster child for automating IT. The former Dell CIO said HP is targeting a spend of only 25 percent of IT resources on support and the other 75 percent on innovations by 2008.