'

Add another 1,000 to Microsoft's headcount

Microsoft is going to grow its headcount in China by 1,000, bringing the total of Microsoft China employees to 6,000, according to a new Reuters report. Microsoft currently employs 79,000-plus worldwide, 5,000 of whom are based in China.

Microsoft is going to grow its headcount in China by 1,000, bringing the total of Microsoft China employees to 6,000, according to a new Reuters report.

Add another 1,000 to Microsoft’s headcount
About 10 percent of the new hires will be doing research. The other 90 percent will be assigned to various product development teams, Bloomberg reports claim. Microsoft plans to make the hires before June 30, 2008, the end of its current fiscal year.

As of June 30, 2007, Microsoft employed approximately 79,000 people on a full-time basis, 48,000 in the United States and 31,000 internationally Approximately 31,000 were employed in product research and development, 24,000 in sales and marketing, 13,000 in product support and consulting services, 3,000 in manufacturing and distribution, and 8,000 in general and administration, according to Microsoft's year-end Securities & Exchange filing.