Today we see AMD roll out eight new CPUs just in time to make it to a launch party!
Here's the new lineup:
- AMD Athlon II X3 435 - 95W TDP - 2.9GHz - $87
- AMD Athlon II X3 425 - 95W TDP - 2.7GHz - $76
- AMD Athlon II X4 605e - 45W TDP - 2.3GHz - $143
- AMD Athlon II X4 600e - 45W TDP - 2.2GHz - $133
- AMD Athlon II X3 405e - 45W TDP - 2.3GHz - $102
- AMD Athlon II X3 400e - 45W TDP - 2.2GHz - $97
- AMD Athlon II X2 240e - 45W TDP - 2.8GHz - $77
- AMD Athlon II X2 235e - 45W TDP - 2.7GHz - $69
Note: Prices are for trays of 1,000 units. Street price will be higher.
You might have noticed that the first two CPUs in the list are triple core Athlon CPUs, both priced at under $100. According to AMD these
offer "75 percent better media and entertainment performance when compared to the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500."
The other six CPUs are energy-efficient, 45W TDP (Thermal Design Power) parts which are designed for low-power consumption SFF (Small Form Factor) and HTPC (Home Theater PC) systems which demand a CPU with low heat output.
According to AMD the Athlon II X2 240e processor performs up to 70 percent better in media and entertainment benchmarks and delivers a processor cost saving of over $40 when compared to the Intel Core 2 Duo E7400.
AMD might not have the fastest CPUs, but it's certainly going after the low-end and low-power-consumption markets aggressively.