Several months after trying to silence a researcher from discussing the flaw, Cisco has announced a critical failure in recent versions of its Internetwork Operating System, which runs on its routers and other devices. Specifically, says a report in CIO:
The IOS firewall-authentication proxy for FTP and Telnet sessions featured in specific versions of the IOS software -- 12.2 through 12.4 -- is "vulnerable to a remotely exploitable buffer-overflow condition."
Cisco has released patch software and a list of workarounds at its security advisory.
Cisco White Papers
- Cisco Full Service Branch Networks in Government: Creating an Intelligent Platform for Operational Excellence in European E-Government - Cisco Systems
- Cisco Network Technology “Connecting Communities” in Regional and Local Government - Cisco Systems
- Secure Optical Networking - Cisco Systems
- The City of Greensboro Relies on Cisco to Improve Service Effectiveness - Cisco Systems
- Securing Communities With Cisco Integrated Security for State and Local Government - Cisco Systems
- The City of Greensboro Keeps Moving With a Cisco Metropolitan Mobile Network - Cisco Systems
- Cisco Systems Capital Public Sector Leasing Program - Cisco Systems
- Cisco Transforming Communications Solutions for Government - Cisco Systems
- Connecting Communities in State and Local Government - Cisco Systems
- Cisco Solutions: Technology Integrator - Intermec Technologies