Day two of DEMO 07 opens with two segments devoted to mobility – one of my favorite topics these days. In these two segments, 15 companies will display their new ideas about making mobile devices work better and how services can be pushed to the mobile device to provide greater ability to accomplish tasks formerly restricted to the desktop while on the go.
Making Mobile Work – wrestling with connectivity, device theft or loss, and simple unavailability to power are challenges every mobile worker faces. The companies in this segment have developed solutions that address these and other issues unique to mobile computing.
- DARTdevices – an infrastructure play that allows DART-enabled devices to discover, access, and share applications.
- Devicescape Software – a web and component solution that makes managing connections to WiFi hotspots more easily managed and configured, eliminating the need to fire up a web browser just to establish a connection.
- WHISHER.com – A WiFi aggregation initiative similar to what FON or Boingo are attempting to create. Basedin Barcelona, Spain, Whisher is building a shared WiFi infrastructure that leverages individual wireless access points into a wide area network of connectivity points. What makes Whisher really interesting is the social context they add to WiFi connectivity.
- Nuvoiz – combining infrastructure and devices, Nuvoiz isworking to make voice over WiFi and presence more available and easier to use. The company has some interesting approaches to dealing with firewall and NAT issues to make the connection process easier.
- Alacatel-Lucent Ventures – The Mobile Endpoint Management System is one of the coolest things I've seen at DEMO 07. A 3G-enabled PC card with an embedded OS, SD card slot, and the ability to provide complete remote administration, management and security services directly to the device.
- Boston-Power – a new approach to mobile power, SONATA provides longer battery life and faster recharge times.
Taking it to the Streets – Mobile phones are increasingly able to perform tasks formerly the exclusive province of desktop PCs and notebooks.
- BUZ Interactive – Voicemail meets music to create a new way to message friends and family and deliver that message without ringing the phone. BUZ claims that GETaBUZ, the service they're introducing at DEMO 07, works wth every mobile phone on the planet.
- Seagate Technology – Seagate is showing DAVE (digital audio video entertainment) technology, a 10 to 40GB wireless storage solution small enough to fit in your pocket or bag.
- Inilex – A GPS and remote control product that allows you to monitor and control your vehicle including tracking a vehicle's location and speed as well as remotely controlling the ignition, security system, door locks, and heating and A/C in your vehicle.
- Brevient Technologies – Jyngle is a voice and SMS messaging service to make group messaging easier using a mobile device or the Web.
- GoWare – DoMo allows mobile device users to create nd manage a mobile portal that combines PC and web-based content that can be organized using a variety of templates and viewed using the browser on the mobile device.
- iqzone – I had a chance to visit with the folks at iqzone yesterday to look at their new classified ad application for mobile phone. Using a mobile phone's camera, you can capture a photo or video of n item you'd like to sell and post a classified ad on their web site for local or worldwide display. Sellers have complete control over who sees their ad and for how long and can receive alerts on their mobile device about any item they've posted.
- Mobio Networks – Mobio enables the personalized creation of mobile mashups of content from a variety of sources that can be added to a mobile phone with a few clicks.
- Vringo – a video ringtone sharing community that uses content licensed from movies, TV, and popular music publishers as well as user-generated content.
- TeleFlip – push e-mail for a variety of data-enabled phones combined the ability to establish a personal mobile network domain that matches a personal name with a mobile number.