While tablet sales -- mostly the Apple iPad -- continue to accelerate, I've registered my skepticism about how useful they can be for the average business professional. But, I've also noted that tablets can be perfect for a number specialized uses and I'm always on the lookout for new examples. I discovered an interesting one in a recently-posted video from Walt Disney Imagineering, which is putting iPads in the hands of construction workers who are building a new expansion to Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World.
Here are some of the things these workers are doing with the tablets:
- Viewing 3D models of building plans
- Accessing permit documents
- Video conferencing and Webex meetings with architects and contractors
These are little productivity improvements that can potentially streamline communications and help mitigate the inevitable changes that can slow down a project.
Take a look at the video below to see the tablets in action.
- Tablets are for people who hate computers
- The truth about iPad: It’s only good for two things
- I discovered a third use for the iPad
- Why iPad popularity is slowing PC sales
- HP TouchPad leapfrogs rivals in productivity
This article was originally published on TechRepublic.