Yes, it is possible to Speed Up Your Slow Windows 7 and Windows Vista without upgrading Random Access Memory (RAM). In Windows Vista and Windows 7 it has become possible with the help of ReadyBoost feature. The ReadyBoost helps you use a pen drive or any other flash drive as cache memory in addition with the available RAM in your computer system. The ReadyBoost feature saves your cost to upgrade RAM. It only utilizes the space available in a flash drive to use that as the RAM; therefore, you also do not need to remove available content from your flash drive. The ReadyBoost feature increases your computer's speed by utilizing the space available in your flash drive. Let's now perform the following steps to enable the ReadyBoost feature:
1. Attach a flash drive in the USB port of your CPU.
2. Select Start -> Computer in Windows start program menu. The Computer window appears.
3. Right-click the drive and select the Properties option. The Properties dialog box appears.
4. Now, select the ReadyBoost tab. It displays the following two radio buttons:
• Do not use this device: This radio button is selected by default. Enabling this radio button means you cannot use a drive to add additional memory in your computer. • Use this device: This radio button allows you to use a flash drive as additional memory.
5. Select the Use this device radio button. Now, you need to reserve the drive space to be used as the cache memory. The space you reserve to use as the cache memory cannot be used to store items in the attached drive.
6. Move the slider on left or right side to specify the drive space that you want to reserve as cache memory.
7. Click the Apply button.
8. Click the Ok button.
A ReadyBoost Cache file will be created in your pen drive that Windows Vista uses as the additional cache memory. This file does not harm any other files on your computer. When you remove the pen drive from your computer and again attach, Windows Vista automatically uses it as additional cache memory. If you do not want to use the pen drive as cache memory for more, enable the Do not use this device radio button before removing the pen drive.