Iomega on Thursday announced a refresh of its popular double-drive desktop NAS device, the StorCenter ix2-200.
Intended for home or small business users, the StorCenter ix2-200 is new thanks to a faster processor, a two-bay drive and the new "quick transfer button."
Interestingly, the device offers an idle drive spin-down feature to save energy.
For small businesses, what's important is:
- Device-to-device replication for business continuity and file recovery
- iSCSI block-level access for storage efficiency
- RAID 1 configurations for data protection
- Windows Active Directory support
- A new front panel QuikTransfer button for copying of selected files
- User replaceable hard drives
- Multiple IP security camera support
- VMware certification for virtualization installations
- Gigabit Ethernet connectivity
- Three USB 2.0 ports
Note: The ix2-200 does not support hot swapping.
For home users, what's of note is:
- Four steps to set up for operation.
- A DLNA certified UPnP AV Media Server that makes the device a central repository for serving up multimedia files
- Can be used with Time Machine for Apple computer backups
- Built-in torrent support for file-sharing without the need for a dedicated PC
- Bluetooth support
- The ability to connect up to five Axis Network video cameras for real-time surveillance and video capture.
- Cooliris slide show plug-in
- Remote access from anywhere
The device utilizes a Linux operating environment and suite of applications designed for cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux) support.
It's available now in 1TB, 2TB and 4TB capacities for $269.99, $369.99 and $699.99.