Recently, ZDNet Research conducted a study of over 200 US IT and business professionals in organizations with 1000 or more employees to examine the current state of ITIL (IT Infrastructure Library) best practices in large enterprises. The study, sponsored by Computer Associates,found that ITIL adoption is wide-spread among today's enterprises but is in the early stages of implementation for most organizations:
The majority of respondents (60 percent) currently have initiated ITIL compliance within their organizations; however, many are still in the early stages of initiation (24 percent) or in the process of completing implementation (36 percent).
- Initiated (organizations may have initiated a process but it is not yet in place as a best practice)
- Awareness (implementation of the process is in place by not yet completed)
- Control (the process is fully implemented)
- Integration (the process has been fully integrated as a best practice and is being fine-tuned), and
- Optimization (process maturity is driving quality improvements and new business opportunities). Respondents ratings are presented below.