Forrester Research has published what could be rightly termed a policy paper about the role of IT leadership in helping create a truly Green Enterprise. The report is meant to help CIOs think beyond how to make their information technology infrastructure greener (although remains very important). The Green Enterprise requires technology leaders who can think just as much (or more) about how to use technology and software applications to better-manage their entire portfolio. In other words, technology as part of the solution not just a problem to address.
Forrester believes technology can be particularly useful in the following areas:
- Assessing how to decrease waste and the use of toxic materials in production
- Measuring environmental impact of processes and products
- Helping development teams make more environmentally informed decisions when designing new products and during pure research and development
- Minimizing the impact of marketing
- Enabling virtual meetings
- Creating paths for reuse or refurbishment
- Addressing environmentally inefficient supply chain and procurement strategies
Inspired? More information about Forrester's Green Enterprise report, and the role of IT managers/CIOs can be found at this link.