Some brief highlights of Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) underway in San Francisco.
Electronic Arts games coming to the Mac in July:
- Command & Conquor 3
- Battlefield 2142
- Need For Speed Carbon
- Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix
- Madden '08 (coming soon)
- Tiger Woods '08 (coming soon)
New game coming from John Carmack's id Software (creator of Doom, Quake and Castle Wolfenstein). Name TBA.
21 Months between Tiger & Leopard. There are 300 new features in Leopard - today we'll be seeing 10:
1. New Desktop New menu bar New Dock - folders fan out from dock Stacks - remedy for messy desktops, stack in dock Consistent window look Prominent active window
2. New Finder New Sidebar Search other Macs and servers Shared computers Back to my Mac CoverFlow - works just like it does in iTunes
3. Quick Look Instantly preview most types of files by hitting space bar Live file previews Text, images, movies, PDF, Word Excel Plug-in model Full-screen previews
4. 64-Bit Leopard is 64-bit top to bottom 64-bit goes mainstream 64-bit Cocoa One version of Leopard runs 32 and 64-bit apps side-by-side
5. Core Animation
6. Boot Camp Built in Run XP and Vista at native speeds No more burning CDs to install drivers Complements Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion
8. Dashboard Over 3,000 widgets New widget: Movie Times Use Safari tomake Widgets from Web pages
9. iChat Better quality audio (AAC Low-Delay codec) Tabbed chats Photobooth effects iChat Theater Backdrops Share Keynote with transitions and effects Share movies, or any application compatible with Quick Looks
10. Time Machine One-click setup Automatic backups Backup to local hard drive of server, even wireless Search back in time Preview with Quick Look Selective restore of entire Mac
Just 10 of over 300 features...
Basic version - US$129 Premium version - US$129 Most people are going to buy the ultimate version. (much applause)
"One more thing..."
11. Safari 18 million Safari users Safari marketshare 4.9% Explorer has 78% Firefox 15% others 2% Safari 3 will run on Windows XP and Vista Fastest browser on Windows Twice as fast as IE 7 1.6 times faster thans Firefox 2 Google and Yahoo search New tab features - drag them around, drag tabs off to own Window Safari Windows public beta being released today
"I do have something else... One last thing."
12. iPhone Full Safari engine is in iPhone You can write amazing Web 2.0/AJAX applications for Safari that will work on iPhone Scott Forstall - VP iPhone demoing iPhone corporate application Address book database using LDAP from inside Safari on iPhone
Developers getting a copy of Leopard today.
Keynote presentation over.