'

Government set to respond to Stewart Enquiry

With UK scientists warning of potential health dangers to children, will ministers warn kids off mobile phones?

The government will issue its response Friday to the Stewart Enquiry, which examined the health risk posed by mobile phones.

The Enquiry, commissioned by government to investigate claims that mobile phone use had adverse health implications, issued its report in May and concluded that, while there was no evidence that mobiles were dangerous, there was the "risk of a risk" to health, and that children would be more susceptible to any effects.

Because of this, it recommended that the use of mobile phones by children was limited to emergency calls only.

The response is likely to follow the recommendations of the Inquiry, and force mobile phone retailers to distribute advice leaflets to customers.

The Department of Education and Employment has already advised every school in England to discourage under-15s from using mobiles.

Last month, a British scientist claimed that pre-adolescent children are at the greatest risk of suffering adverse health effects from mobile phone use. Writing in The Lancet, Dr Gerard Hyland warns that the low-intensity, pulsed radiation used by mobile phones exert subtle non-thermal influences on living organisms.

These can also affect a number of brain functions, according to Hyland.

Have your say instantly, and see what others have said. Click on the TalkBack button and go to the ZDNet News forum.

Let the editors know what you think in the Mailroom. And read what others have said.