I love watching people shop late on a Christmas eve. There's a crazed desperation in the eyes of the last-minute shoppers, especially those lazy guys who have left buying their sweethearts that amazing, thoughtful gift. Fortunately, it's possible to buy a useful and thoughtful last-minute for the geek that still needs a gift.
Here are a few last-minute gift ideas that geeks will appreciate:
- USB flash memory - The greater the capacity the better. There are also plenty of cheap drives that offer data encryption features too, which is a bonus.
- Digital photo frame - Unless the recipient of the gift has a dozen of them, there's always room for another photo frame.
- Caffinated soap/body wash - At first I was skeptical that this could deliver any sort of kick, but it does. A favorite among programmers!
- Screen cleaners - As a geek you can never have have enough wipes.
- CD/DVD cleaner disc - Yes, still relevant today!
- Rechargeable batteries - Especially AAs for portable gadgets.
- Emergency charger for cell phone - There are good ones that run off AAs and a no brainer as long as you know what cellphone your geek has (there are also universal chargers).
- LED flashlights - Lots and lots of good ones. Surefire is a premium brand, Fenix is a lower-priced but solid alternative.
- Pocket tool - Always handy. Swiss-Tech is a good brand to look for.
- Any kind of radio controlled toy - There are hundreds to choose from, and always a hit.
Feel free to post your suggestions below.