Mike Potter has the scoop on a new version of Buzzword that we're releasing tomorrow. The new version seems to have a number of bug fixes and feature enhancements (unfortunately nothing like Zoho Writer). The main list includes:
- Units can now be specified in inches, centimeters or points
- Word count
- Hyperlink support within document text
- Unique URL for each Buzzword documents together
- Type-ahead/lookup support when adding collaborators in share dialog box
- Special Character support
- Page setup support (page height/width, margins, landscape) for import/export.
- Image Clipboard support - copy from web pages into Buzzword
- Safari 3 fixes
- Highlighting contrast tuned up
- Copy/paste from PowerPoint to BW under Firefox Windows
- New domain: www.buzzword.com
Of these, the most significant are probably the unique URL for each Buzzword document and the new domain. But it is interesting that Buzzword is focusing heavily on fidelity and a polished word processor experience. Things like word count, special character support, the unit options and page setup support are all aimed at making the word processor more powerful when it comes to pages and documents. Ultimately I think that's a good thing and I think having pages represented is an underrated feature. Maybe Harry Potter wouldn't use it for his "scroll of a specific length" work, but in the real world pages are still important for a number of reasons.