Reports: 8.9-inch netbooks out, Android in at Asus

Asustek is going to start shipping only 10-inch and 7-inch Eee PCs, reports have claimed. Separate reports have also revealed how the manufacturer is contemplating putting the Android operating system onto netbooks.

Asustek is going to start shipping only 10-inch and 7-inch Eee PCs, reports have claimed. Separate reports have also revealed how the manufacturer is contemplating putting the Android operating system onto netbooks.

According to a Digitimes article on Thursday, Benson Lin, the company's Asia-Pacific president, said that "of Asustek's 2009 Eee PC shipments, 10-inch models will account for 95%, while the other 5% will be 7-inch models for telecom service operators".

ZDNet UK has contacted Asus' UK representatives to confirm that the manufacturer will no longer sell 8.9-inch netbooks, but was unable to obtain such confirmation. "We do see a trend shifting towards 10-inch in the market, but as far as I'm aware nothing is being phased out," a spokesperson said.

Meanwhile, Bloomberg reported on Friday that Asus has allocated engineers to developing a netbook using the Google-led Android operating system - until now only found on mobile phones - by year-end. The report adds that Asus is still not certain it will release such a netbook as it remains in the development stage.

Again, ZDNet UK was unable to obtain confirmation of the report from Asus' UK representatives.