Sun just made a big announcement - the kind that quietly changes the IT world. They've made the entire stack free with Solaris 10 - support and services optional.
Download it for free or order up a cheap AMD or SPARC server with Solaris 10 pre-installed and you get:
- The award winning and open sourced Solaris 10 OS, with the recently announced PostgreSQL database;
- The entire Sun Java Enterprise System infrastructure software platform, including the Sun Java(TM) Identity Management Suite, Sun Java(TM) Integration Suite, Sun Java(TM) Communications Suite, Sun Java(TM) Application Platform Suite, Sun Java(TM) Availability Suite and Sun Java(TM) Web Infrastructure Suite;
- The N1 Management Software including the Sun N1(TM) System Manager, the Sun N1(TM) Service Provisioning System, the Sun N1(TM) Grid Engine;
- All tools for C, C++ and Java development, including Sun Studio 11, Sun Java(TM) Studio Enterprise 8 and Sun Java(TM) Studio Creator;
- SunRay(TM) Server software;
- Sun(TM) Secure Global Desktop Software.
Ultimately the contest between IBM's Cell, Sun's CMT, and Microsoft's traditional PPC will come down to developer and customer loyalties -and in that battle it doesn't get gutsier than this.
Thanks Sun! it's a big win for open source, and I hope an equally big win for you.