Welcome to the launch of our Great Debate series, a look at the big tech topics of the day and what they really mean.
The current debate: Bring your own device: Reality or pipe dream? Almost everyone owns an advanced phone and a laptop, netbook or tablet, so why not allow employees to use those devices in corporate work environments? Ken Hess argues that the transition is an easy one. But Heather Clancy thinks BYOD only seems like a great idea -- until you try manage it. Larry Dignan moderates this week's debate.
Here's a look at upcoming topics for the Great Debate (subject to change based on breaking news events, of course):
- Week 1 (9/12): Are we living in the post-PC era?
- Week 2 (9/19): Will Windows 8 deliver?
- Week 3 (9/26): Can Meg Whitman turn around HP?
- Week 4 (10/3): Is Apple's iPhone 5 your dream phone?
- Week 5 (10/10): Can Android continue its push toward mobile domination?
- Week 6 (10/17): Bring your own device: Reality or pipe dream?
- Week 7 (10/24): TBD
- Week 8 (10/31): TBD
- Week 9 (11/7): Kindle Fire: The People's Tablet?