One of Telstra's key unions today flagged a second round of strikes planned for Tuesday next week, giving the telco just one day's peace after industrial action scheduled for this weekend.
The Communications Electrical and Plumbing Union (CEPU), which earlier this week said the majority of around 4,400 workers who voted in a poll supported industrial action, today said that the new wave of strikes would hit all capital city central business districts around the nation from 8AM Tuesday morning.
A series of other stoppages are also planned for 12 midday, including a 48-hour stoppage at Telstra's global operations centre at Clayton, Victoria. A number of other call centres, such as in Bendigo and Sydney's Burwood, will be affected by the four-hour actions. The union said some stoppages, from 12 midnight on Tuesday, could take place in several of Telstra's Melbourne facilities, but at this stage the actions were indefinite.
The union warned workers that only CEPU members could take part in the action, and that they could only take action in the specified workplaces. Emergency jobs will still be carried out, and the union warned members to contact it immediately if their employment was threatened in any way by Telstra managers as a result of the industrial action.
The Community and Public Sector Union is also considering carrying out industrial action at Telstra.