Udemy is one of the most popular learning platforms for developers. This online SQL course is aimed at true beginners: those who have a computer but lack experience working with databases, SQL, or MySQL.
The regular price is €159.99 ($188) for the full 20-hour course, but Udemy sometimes often offers significant discounts. It is one of Udemy's bestsellers and has a 4.6 out of 5 rating from 56,000 out of 253,000 previous students.
Students need to roll their sleeves up and prepare to get their hands dirty with big data.
The course is varied and lengthy but broken up into bite-sized chunks. It consists of 18 sections covering the basics, such as 'What is a database?' to build a web app using Node.js, MySQL and NPM, the Node.js package manager.
Each section contains about 20 short lectures and, in total, offers 20 hours of on-demand video, 142 articles and four downloadable resources. Students receive a certificate of completion.
Students will also learn how to write complex SQL queries across multiple tables, model real-world data, and generate reports using SQL.
Some practical lessons include generating reports using sales and user data and cloning the database structure of Instagram.
SQL skills are in high demand thanks in part to MySQL, an open-source version of the SQL database that is used at Silicon Valley giants including Twitter, Airbnb, Dropbox, Microsoft-owned GitHub and Salesforce-owned Slack.
A major advantage of this course is that lessons focusing on MySQL will prepare students to work with other databases, such as PostgreSQL, Oracle, and Microsoft SQL Server.
- It's a hugely popular course for SQL beginners with generally very good reviews.
- It covers web app developments using key tools, runtimes and frameworks.
- The course has focused on real-world data and familiarizes students with major databases.
- Students with more advanced knowledge of SQL might not be satisfied with advanced lessons.
- Some students with development experience disagree that the course makes you an expert.