/>
X

BT boasts 10m broadband customers

The number of BT broadband connections has risen 30-fold since 2002
zd-defaultauthor-richard-thurston.jpg
Written by Richard Thurston on

BT claims it will sign-up its 10 millionth broadband customer this week, meaning that just one in 250 homes and businesses will be unable to get broadband from the former incumbent.

Broadband growth has rocketed in the five years since it became widely available, claims BT. Figures released on Tuesday by the telco show that just 300,000 homes had ordered a DSL line by June 2002. That number has since risen more than 30-fold.

Although BT-supplied DSL (whether through BT Retail, BT Wholesale or by local loop unbundling) accounts for only about 80 percent of total broadband lines, 89 percent of new customers are purchasing BT-supplied lines, the telco says. Most of the remaining 11 percent are choosing services from cable operator ntl:Telewest.

BT's figures are likely to be bolstered further by Vodafone's move into the broadband marketplace. From 8 January, the mobile operator will start selling DSL services resold from BT.

Vodafone's broadband services — called Vodafone at Home — sees customers tied into an 18-month contract and charged £35 per month if they don't simultaneously have a mobile phone contract with the company.

BT-based broadband is now available from all bar 10 telephone exchanges. The company claims 99.8 percent of homes connected to an enabled exchange can receive broadband.

Related

CERN is firing up its Large Hadron Collider at record energy levels, in search of dark matter
cern-photo-202011-145-2.jpg

CERN is firing up its Large Hadron Collider at record energy levels, in search of dark matter

Innovation
This is the ultimate security key. Here's why you need one
Yubikey 5C NFC

This is the ultimate security key. Here's why you need one

Security
He flew American Airlines, she flew United. For both, the unthinkable happened
screen-shot-2022-06-30-at-10-14-36-am.png

He flew American Airlines, she flew United. For both, the unthinkable happened

Business