- Click and hold -- or left click and hold if using a mouse -- and drag the icon to the spot within your Dock that you'd like it to stay.
- Release the touchpad or mouse button and let it drop into place.
- Hold the control key on your keyboard and click -- or right click if using a mouse -- and hover over the "Options" menu.
- Find and click "Remove from Dock."
- Find the app or compatible file you'd like to add to the Dock and click and hold it.
- Drag the icon to its desired position on the Dock and release it.
- If the icon doesn't remain, it's a type of file or app that's incompatible with the MacOS Dock.
Keeping recently used apps in your Dock permanently
- Find the app or file in the Recently Used portion of your dock (usually on the right next to the Trash icon).
- Hold the control key on your keyboard and click -- or right click if using a mouse and hover over the "Options" menu.
- Find and click "Keep in Dock."
- The app or file will move to the permanent part of your Dock, where it can then be moved or removed using the methods listed above.