Want to run your favorite Android apps on your Windows desktop, laptop, tablet or 2-in-1 system? American Megatrends - yes, that same company you've been seeing on PC BIOS screens since the 1980s - has a utility for you.
Called AMIDuOS, this tool allows you to run your favorite Android apps on pretty much any PC running Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 (I hear Windows 10 support is on the way).
Since AMIDuOS uses virtualization technology as opposed to a dual-boot solution, you can switch between Windows and Android apps seamlessly without having to close what you're doing in one OS to get to the other. You can even pin Android apps to the Start Menu for ease of access.
Virtualization also facilitates easy file sharing between Windows and Android, so there are no boundaries between you and your data. AMIDuOS also supports SD card emulation and allows you to configure the SD card using an easy-to-use configuration tool.
AMIDuOS provides a complete Android tablet experience with multitouch and gesture support for pinch and zoom, along with a full-featured software keyboard. It also supports compass and GPS functionality, allowing map navigation by multitouch.
When in desktop mode the software offers full hardware keyboard support, including a range of keyboard shortcuts. The screen orientation can be changed to portrait mode for applications that require it. Connectivity comes in the form of Ethernet and simulated WiFi to provide network access for Android applications.
AMIDuOS comes pre-installed with stock Android apps and the Amazon App Store, but if you want the Google Play Store this can be installed to provide access to popular apps such as Gmail. For power users there is also a quick and easy way to enable root mode.
AMIDuOS comes with an initial 30-day free trial, then and beyond that a lifetime license will set you back $10.
You can also use this tool to get Android apps running on something like a Surface 3 tablet.
- x86 processor
- 32 or 64-bit Windows 7/8/8.1
- OpenGL 3.0 and above
- Hardware Virtualization Technology should be enabled in BIOS
- Minimum 2GB of system RAM, though 3GB is recommended for best performance
- Minimum 2GB of hard disk free space
- Android Wear has one big advantage over the Apple Watch, but for how long?
- Apple's biggest WWDC 2015 challenge
- Apple Watch to grab half of all smartwatch display shipments in 2015
- Add an Android-style 'back' button to your iPhone with a smart screen protector
- Nextbook Flexx 2-in-1 Windows 8.1 tablets starting at $178
- The $9 Computer: What do you get?