As the (currently category 3) Hurricane Irene hurtles toward the eastern seaboard of the United States, it is perhaps timely to read up on all the ways researchers around the world detect, monitor, defend against and even destroy a tropical cyclone.
It has only been just over two years since we first relaunched SmartPlanet, but we've already amassed an impressive library of hurricane-, flood- and disaster-related articles for you to enjoy, learn from and share.
Here are the highlights:
And more from our sister sites:
- ZDNet: Riding out the hurricane with your cell phone
- CNET: Track hurricanes on your phone or online
- CBS MoneyWatch: Hurricane Irene: 5 Steps to Take Now
- BNET: Irene Will Slam the East Coast — and the Insurance Industry
- TechRepublic: Hurricane prediction technology can help IT
This post was originally published on Smartplanet.com