Samsung will recall Galaxy Note 7 handsets already sold to consumers in South Korea following incidents of the phone's battery exploding, local media is reporting.
According to Chosun Ilbo, the South Korean tech giant plans to recall around 400,000 Note 7 units sold in South Korea.
It halted shipments to local telcos on Wednesday following multiple reports of the exploding batteries in both Korea and abroad. Samsung previously confirmed it was doing more quality testing for the phones.
A source familiar with the matter told ZDNet that the firm will post a notice for consumers soon and that it has not been decided whether it will recall all Note 7 handsets sold or only the ones it deems affected by the defective parts.
Reports claimed that Samsung will return the recalled phones with new batteries. Consumers won't be offered a refund or a brand new phone, Chosun Ilbo said, but Note 7 users will be able to visit service centers nearby and will be offered the new parts for free.
For consumers abroad, including the US, the company will offer new batteries only to the phones that used the defective batteries.
If the recall proceeds, it will be first time ever for a handset in South Korea.
A Samsung spokesman said "it was discussing the issue of Note 7 internally" and will make an announcement soon.
The South Korean tech giant posted its highest profit in two years backed by strong Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge sales in the second quarter.
Success of the Galaxy Note 7 is crucial for it to continue momentum through the third and fourth quarters.