I love my iPad. A lot. It goes with me pretty much everywhere I go. But despite finding the device incredibly useful, there are aspects of the device, OS and associated software that I thoroughly hate.
- Endless software updates The more apps you have installed, the more updates you end up having to install. With small apps it's not a problem bringing them down direct to the iPad over the air. But with larger updates for apps such as games (which can run into hundreds of megabytes), it's better to bring them down to iTunes. But this makes the syncing and backup process cumbersome.
- Tinny speakers The iPad is supposed to be a media consumption device, but it's seriously let down by the poor quality speaker built into the device.
- Glossy screen The screen is great ... until it isn't. Fingerprints, sun, lights and glare make it less than ideal. A matte screen option would be a far better choice when it's not possible to control glare.
- Developers chiseling iPad owners for "HD" apps I can understand why some developers are charging separately for apps for the iPhone and the iPad, but I really don't understand why iPad apps command a premium price tag. A good example of his is Angry Birds. The iPhone app costs $0.99, but the iPad "HD" app with slightly better graphics is a whopping $4.99. If there's an explanation other than developers chiseling iPad owners, I'm not sure what it is.
- No way to delete content directly from the iPad Why, oh why can't I delete content that's on my iPad from my iPad?
- There are too many apps that still don't support multitasking properly This one really annoys me - I can't understand why some developers keep pushing out updates for iPad specific apps without adding multitasking support.
- No Flash support is a pain sometimes Most of the time I don't miss Flash at all, but there are times when I do. The Skyfire browser allows me to view Flash video, but there are times when no Flash is a major downer.
- Keyboard needs to be customizable Why can't I customize the keyboard? Alternatively, why won't Apple let third-party developers make alternative keyboards? Something needs to give here.
- No password manager Hey, Steve Jobs! Yes, you. Any idea how many passwords I have for different online services? Yeah, that's right, a lot. So why do I have to reenter them each and every time I go to a website?
- Push notifications are a mess Why is that massive screen only capable to displaying a single push notification at any one time? A list would be far better than a modal dialog box.
How many of these issues will be fixed by updates in 2011? Anyone want to make a prediction?