Amazon unveils kit for software developers to build content for Kindle

Developers, get ready: Amazon has just announced the Kindle Development Kit for building active content for their world-famous e-book reader.

Developers, get ready: Amazon has just announced the Kindle Development Kit for building active content for their world-famous e-book reader.

The KDK will include sample codes, interfaces and documentation for the Kindle. Developers can work on and preview their work in the Kindle Simulator (included with the KDK), which simulates either the Kindle or the Kindle DX on PC, Mac or Linux desktop computers. The app size limit is capped at 100 MB, and anything over 10 MB must be downloaded directly to a computer and then to the Kindle via USB.

When it comes time for selling programs in the Kindle Store, content can be priced in one of three ways: monthly subscription, a one-time purchase or (my personal favorite) free. And for those who do decide to charge, 70% of proceeds go to the developer, while the other 30% falls in the pocket of the online retail giant.

If you submit your e-mail address, you'll get an note as to when you can download it from Amazon, some time in February.