I am amazed at how little "excited chatter" there has been today, after the announcement of the iPad yesterday. I have to admit, I didn't pay much attention yesterday, as I understand it is not going to be available in Europe for some time, and it's not my kind of a device anyway (no keyboard = no Jamie, thanks very much). But I was still prepared for everyone to be doing back-flips today, more or less as they were the day after the original iPhone was announced, or even the MacBook Air for that matter. Maybe I've just missed the hoopla, but it seems very subdued to me.
So, what's the story? Is it boring, or are there just not enough details yet to make it exciting? Is it the wrong product at the wrong time (in which case it will go down in history and the "Newton II"), or is it not really a "new" product at all (in which case it will go down in history as the "iPod Touch on Steroids"). Or is it so great that everyone is just dumbfounded, and can't even think of the right words to express their feelings?
Anyway, here are the things I would like to know:
- Battery life: should it come with a very long extension cord?
- Screen quality: this includes both resolution and readability under varying lighting conditions.
- Durability: should it come with a roll of Duct Tape?
- Keyboard: Will anyone in their right mind be able to type in a long email (or blog posting), and still be in their right mind when they finish?
- Multi-tasking: Does it have real multi-tasking, open to everyone, or is Apple once again holding back the keys to the kingdom for themselves?