Apple Tablet: So, who's gonna be rushing out to buy an iPad?

For a few days now I've been receiving information from previously credible sources that the rumored Apple tablet will be called iPad. But no solid proof. Now MacRumors and MacNN have dug about in trademark databases and made some interesting discoveries.

For a few days now I've been receiving information from previously credible sources that the rumored Apple tablet will be called iPad. But no solid proof. Now MacRumors and MacNN have dug about in trademark databases and made some interesting discoveries.

The Canadian shows an application for the iPad trademark from a company called Slate Computing, LLC, a company believed to be a dummy corporation belonging to Apple. On top of that, there have been similar application filed for Europe and Hong Kong, while in Australia and New Zealand a company called IP Application Development (initials of which spell out IPAD) has applied for a similar trademark.

What about the US? Well, in the US the iPAD trademark is held by Fujitsu and applies to a point-of-sale device. Would that stop Apple from calling their device iPad? Unlikely given that the iPhone trademark was initially held by Cisco at the time Apple launched the device.

[poll id="498"]

So, putting all the information from tipsters together with these findings, along with other rumors that I've been hearing, I'm 95% convinced that Apple's tablet will be called iPad. But that still leaves a 5% chance that Apple will throw us a curve-ball, and its a company good at throwing those!

Whaddya think?